Monday, November 9, 2009

Veteran's Cross


Photo: Philip Wilkerson, more HERE.
/
Back to St. Mary's U. for another round of the De Stad Van Kansas Series. Another great course lined out by Chris and friends. Very fun once again.
/
I've been nursing a sore achilles and I wasn't sure how it would respond under race pressure. The race started fast down the flat stretch of brick road and I squeezed into about 6th position before jumping off into the grass then I quickly moved up to 3rd just behind Doug Stone. My ankle felt good so I pushed on with Doug for awhile trying to keep Mark Cole within sight. Doug and I swapped positions once or twice and then he began to pull away from me. I was alone in 3rd for a bit and then my ankle started hitting me with a sharp pain. Rather than risk doing more damage, I eased off the gas and resigned myself to ride it out in a lower gear.
/
/
I finished up in 16th while watching a couple of team mates- Dave and Andy- have a great race. Dave edged into the top 10 and Andy finished his first 3/4 race in 14th after winning the 4 race earlier. I was hoping to see Eric Stull come by me as well, but Dave told me he'd broke a chain as he went around me.
/
In all, it was great fun once again. I especially enjoyed the little kicker on the way to the back side. I caught some good air on it. My apologies to Roger for almost running him over while trying to show off- although I'm sure it's not his first close encounter with a racer.
/
Next week: Back to St. Mary's again!

No comments:

Post a Comment