Sunday, August 22, 2021

That's not steel...

 I've been hunting the elusive steel bike frame and fork for awhile now.  I've found that there is a matrix of variables- quality tubing, right design, beautiful details, price, sizing, availability- but none of these intersect even close to the right place.  Most commonly everything lines up but the frameset is only available with a carbon fork- No Thanks.

Meanwhile... I'm sitting around the house not riding as much as I want/should/need to.

On a whim (as whimsical as I get- read: fretting and wringing of hands for 3 days) I purchased a new crabon frameset.


Giant TCR Advanced SL Team CCC.  Giant was unloading them after CCC disbanded recently.  I got it cheap and it'll get me by until I can bag my steely dream ride.

I cut the fork steerer and the seatmast today.  Both were far and away the most difficult times I've ever had getting through a carbon cut.  I guess that could be a good sign??  I was nervous as heck about cutting the seatmast b/c it is part of the frame- screw that up and the frame is hosed.  I cut it 10mm long on purpose just to be safe and I'm glad I did b/c I cut it off-square.  I will use a grinder to square it up and to bring it to the correct length.  The stem height it probably a little high but I'll refine that after I ride it.

I rode Needles and Iron Mt. yesterday on my Lynskey gravel.  Super fun.  But it was like driving the Nurburgring in a pickup truck.  Looking forward to railing it on the Giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment