Thursday, September 17, 2009

Piriformis

Piriformis is a pear-shaped muscle that runs from the bottom of your spine through the hole in your pelvis and out to your upper leg. Mine is bad. After enduring ,literally, a pain in my ass all summer, I finally went to my ortho today. From what I could decipher from the doc's analysis, I've got reduced power and mobility in my left leg b/c of it and further inflamation could start to cut off nerves causing more problems down my left leg. The piriformis doesn't actually relate directly to any cycling motion, which is why it's so frustrating. It's a muscle that controls lateral leg movement- which you shouldn't be doing if your stroke is true. Nonetheless, it's surounded by all my other ass muscles that I DO use for cycling and when it's not happy it causes all kinds of problems. I don't need any more problems. After years without illness or injury, I've been hit with both this year. I start PT on Monday. Hopefully "Chad" has warm hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment