Saturday, May 3, 2014

1X5 = AOK

I put the Curtlo together around a 1X5 drivetrain utilizing a vintage XT 7-speed thumb shifter and a slightly less-than-vintage D/A derailleur.  Mid-nineties stuff, when Shimano still made solid precision machinery.

I added a new chain, cogset, chainwheel, and cables and figured on a solid drivetrain but when I got everything together it didn't want to shift correctly in index mode.  It was like the spacing wasn't right, but I knew it was.  I fooled with it on several rides and finally gave up and left it in friction mode.  [I realize I've lost some of you here]

Well, I'm happy to report it is now working flawlessly in index mode.  On a recent pre-ride tune up I decided to give the index another shot.  I tuned it up on the stand and when I hit the trail it was spot on.  I guess it just needed a hundred miles or so of break-in.

So far, so good on the carbon rims.  Light and stiff are good qualities to have in rims and I'm sure they play no small part in the wonderful ride of the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment